Butter chicken or makhan murg is one of the easiest and most loved recipes. It always brings a smile to a non-vegetarian foodie.Here is an easy recipe which you can cook if you love your proteins. Once you understand how you like it, you will never depend on a takeaway or readymade packet. Nothing can substitute the freshness of a home made butter chicken with naan. Why is it called murg makhan...
There is nothing like one pot meals for a Sunday gathering.Be it lamb fish or chicken rice.Most meat lovers love it to bits.Sunday special is nothing better than chicken dum biryani.One pot meal loved by all who want their protein. Most people love ordering it online. However, it is something you can make easily. If you really love the chicken this is a wholesome meal. Great when someone is coming home for dinner. This is the non-veg counterpart of Jackfruit biryani.
We love hosting people. It is a great way to refresh from a stressful week. Some people find guests arriving pretty stressful. Honestly, cooking is not a very big deal. Here are some ideas.
- You can have any good starter and mains cooked fresh. One pot meal really cuts down your time with mains.
- Make a dessert a day prior to the party.
- A good kebab starter helps you cut time with frying.
- If there are kids around, it is more simpler. Bake a plain chocolate cake and some puff pastries.
- You can marinate the chicken and keep it ready midweek too. This way you are always ready to host.
If guests drop in within a short notice. Just fry some pakora /fritters and bread rolls. Easy and wholesome meal right away. You can also make and store koftas in fridge. Serve it in a fresh sauce when guests arrive. My MIL does this a lot. I admire her ability to just host so many people so calmly. My mum has been a working mother and she too does this effortlessly. Hats off to all the amazing homemakers who do this day in day out! They get lesser credit than what they deserve.
Step-by-step instructions for biryani
read the recipe of chicken dum biryani
Chicken Dum Biryani recipe
Chicken Biryani is one of the most ordered dishes online. Easy to cook at home with some prep earlier
- For marination: 500 gm chicken
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 tsp each (turmeric, red chilli powder, salt)
- 1 tsp each (ginger, garlic and green chilliFor Biryani:3 tbsp. oil)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 black cardamom crushed
- 2 small green cardamom crushed
- 1 tsp each (ginger, garlic and green chilli)
- 2 cloves crushed
- 3 large onions finely sliced
- 1/2 cup each fresh (coriander & mint chopped)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- 8 saffron strands in 2 tbsp. warm milk
- 2 tbsp. ghee (optional)
- 2 cups basmati rice soaked in water for 30 mins
- 100 ml coconut milk
- Salt as per taste
- Mix the curd with spices and marinate chicken. Keep it in the fridge for 4 hours/overnight.
- For Biryani: Heat a pan with heavy bottom and add 2-3 tbsp oil.
- Add the whole spices with cumin seeds.
- Add onion with ginger, garlic and chillies with little salt. Let it cook on medium flame until golden brown.
- Now, add the chicken pieces with the curd mix. Cook for 10 mins.
- Add the chopped coriander and mint with remaining spice powders and salt.
- Add half of coconut milk and let it cook.
- Meanwhile, heat a pot with good 5-6 cups of water and salt.
- Once its is boiling, add rice and let it cook for 7-8 minutes(or until its around 70% cooked).
- Once the chicken is partially cooked(70%), start taking out the rice and stack it in the biryani pan.
- Spread the ghee and saffron milk using a spoon on top of the rice.
- Add remaining coconut milk on top of rice. This will help chicken to be more moist.
- Cover the biryani pan/pot with a lid and add some heavy item(like 1kg flour/pressure cooker etc.) on the lid. This will help you give the dum.
- Let it cook on the lowest flame for 5 mins and then move the pan to cook at different places for 5 minutes at least 2-3 times i.e., cook for 15-20 minutes at lowest flames, changing the position every 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, let the pan be covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and slowly mix the rice and chicken pieces. Serve warm.
More non-vegetarian recipes
Chicken or egg? Let’s cook something interesting first to decide who came first?
Click here to read additional rice bowl recipes.
Also, click here to watch more recipe videos.